Ralph Riley – Sport Recreation and Swimming Pool Advisor
Ralph Riley has over 40 years’ experience in the public, private and voluntary sectors, managing sports and recreation services, including over 20 years as the Chief Executive of the Institute of Sport and Recreation Management. He led and managed the work and activities of the lnstitute and their 2,300 members and represented their interests in sport and recreation facility management at a national and international level.
Ralph experience covers the management and operation of Sport and Recreation Services in the Public, Private and Voluntary Sector including many swimming pools. He served three years as Recreation Manager for Stafford Borough Council. Ten years as Area Manager and Principle Officer of Research and Development at Wirral Borough Council and more than ten years as Director of Barnsley MBC Leisure Services. Prior to this he worked in pools as a lifeguard, swimming teacher, coach and pool manager. As well as holding many professional management qualifications Ralph is also a qualified squash coach, swimming teacher, and holds the highest Diploma for lifesaving in the UK.
Retired now but still very active in the sporting world Ralph is:
- UK expert to the Central European Norm Group for the Design and Operation of Swimming Pools
- Representative of the UK as expert to the Central European Norm Group for Health and Fitness Club Standards
- Chairman of the UK BSI committee for Sports Playground and Recreational Equipment
- Chairman of the UK BSI committee for Swimming Pools and Aquatic Equipment
- UK Head of Delegation for European and World ISO Technical Standards for Sports Equipment
- Vice Chairman of the UKs leading Pool Water Treatment Advisory Group
- Trustee of the World’s biggest swimming charity “Swimathon” and Chair of the Community Grants committee
Ralph was one of the principle contributors and consultee to the HSE in producing the Management of Health and Safety in Swimming Pools. The author of many industry code of practices and publications. Presenter at international and National Conferences on swimming pools including Australia, France, Germany, Holland, Italy and UK National seminars